Welcome to The Art of Nature

My subject matter is mainly wildlife. Occasionally I will also paint western/native american pieces. I work in oils. It is my intention with this blog to keep viewers updated on new pieces, post examples of my inspiration and occasionally show a new painting from start to finish! Just a reminder...All paintings, photographs of paintings and photographed images are protected by copyright. - Kathryn Ashcroft

Followers

WILLOW VALLEY FINE ART-THE ART OF KATHRYN ASHCROFT

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LEAVE YOUR COMMENTS

For more information visit http://www.kathyashcroft.com/ or contact me at kathrynashcroft@ymail.com

Friday, December 9, 2011

This is my very first oil painting! I was 14 years old when I painted it. I had done many pencil drawings before I painted this picture. My mother painted with oils all the time and I told her I wanted to learn how to paint.
She was very patient with me.....I remember complaining more than a little bit that I couldn't paint. She kept encouraging me and this is the end result.
It now hangs in my studio! It is one of the first things I see when I walk through the door. It is a reminder of many things, but mostly of my Mom and her patience and kind words as I struggled through this piece.
I didn't immediately begin working exclusively in oils though. I kept doing graphite drawings and then I moved on to colored pencils. It wasn't until 2004 that I started painting with oils again.

1 comment:

Duane and April said...

The very first time I ever painted anything was at Grandma's house too. I still have it somewhere too. I remember Grandma painting and I always wanted to paint just like her.